Google Analytic Data Collection
- Automated collection of personal information
- As with most other web servers, when you access these web pages certain information you provide will automatically be recorded by the Institute. This will include your IP address, browser type, and information relating to the page you last visited. This information is needed to estimate how much usage of the server is made by different categories of users and in the event of a breach of security may be used to aid detection.
Certain data is exempted from the provisions of the Data Protection Act which includes the following:
- The prevention or detection of crime
- The assessment of any tax or duty
- Where the processing is necessary to exercise a right or obligation conferred or imposed by law upon the company.
The above are examples only of some of the exemptions under the Act.
Any further information on exemptions should be sought from the Data Protection Commissioner UK.
- Your browser software can be set to reject all cookies, or to ask you if you would like to accept or decline a cookie from a particular site before it is set. Most browsers offer instructions in the Help section of the tool bar on how to set the browser to reject cookies. You should know, however, that if you reject a cookie, certain functions and conveniences of a site may not work properly.
- We will never link the cookie to your personal information.
- Click here for an overview of privacy at Google
- To provide website visitors with more choice on how their data is collected by Google Analytic, Google have developed the Google Analytic Opt-out Browser Add-on. The add-on communicates with the Google Analytic Java Script (gauges) to indicate that information about the website visit should not be sent to Google Analytic
If you want to opt out, download and install the add-on for your current web browser. The Google Analytic Opt-out Browser Add-on is available for Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari and Opera.
- Learn more about the Google Analytic Opt-out Browser Add-on here